Ifakara Health Institute
The Ifakara Health Institute is a health research organization with offices in Ifakara, Dar es Salaam, Ikwiriri, Bagamoyo, and Mtwara, Tanzania.
Position: Nursing Officer Intern – 6 Posts
Reports To: Project Leader
Work Station: Bagamoyo
Apply By: October 10, 2023
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a broad spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery and policy translation.
Ifakara seeks a qualified Nursing Officer to fill an internship position. The Nursing Officer will assist in playing a vital role in providing research nursing services, day-to-day planning and execution of clinical study activities, and act as a team player for a clinical study team consisting of research nurses and study physicians.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in participating and contributing to the design of data collection tools such as source documents and case report forms.
- Assist in educating volunteers on the study by using approved study information tools.
- Assist in obtaining informed consent from the study participants or their parents/guardians and ensure all participants know their rights.
- Assist in performing and documenting vital signs and anthropometry assessment.
- Collect and label blood, serum, urine and other specimens from study participants for analyses as described in the protocol or as requested by study clinicians.
- Assist senior study nurses in developing workflow procedures and duty rosters during clinical trial implementation.
- Assist in administering Investigational Product (IP) and non-IP medications and functions under the guidance of a study clinician.
- Assist in resolving problems relating to volunteer care and act as a volunteer advocate.
- Assist in advising volunteers concerning medical conditions, provide appropriate guidance related to research activities, and collect and document data as defined in the study protocols.
- Assist in assessing patient needs to diagnose, plan and implement proper nursing care for participants in clinical trials per the treatment guidelines.
- Assist in tracking vital signs and carry out regular checks on the patient’s wellbeing.
- Assist in monitoring treatment plans, evaluate and advise/make appropriate recommendations to the Medical Officer or relevant officer as required, and generate and draft nursing reports as may be necessary from time to time.
- As needed, maintain relevant medical records on participants, treatment, etc.
- Assist in performing other duties as assigned by the study Coordinator and Project Leader.
Qualification and Experience
- Diploma in Nursing and Midwife.
- Proven experience working in a facility setting.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficient IV and phlebotomy skills.
- Excellent diagnostic skills and fine manual dexterity for repetitive tasks.
- Proactive and confident with solid ethics.
- Ability to multi-task and exhibit high integrity.
- Able to meet deadlines and be punctual.
- Able and willing to take and follow instructions and learn.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, strong organizational skills, and hard work.
- Team player, able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to work flexible hours, including weekends.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Integrity, Initiative, Equity, Excellence, Accountability).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates per the IHI internship package.
IHI is an equal-opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases, discrimination, and harassment at the workplace and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and the labour laws of Tanzania govern our recruitment process.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters and detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses, including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates, to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Tuesday, October 10 2023. All email application subject lines should include NURSING OFFICER/INTERN – Blood CHMI BAG. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.